By: Rachel Ventura
I’m always hearing about Pinterest fails. Some of the photos I have seen are pretty comical and I admit, I have tried a few ideas from Pinterest that did not come out as well as I’d hoped. But I’m here to tell you about a Pinterest win that anyone can do! It would be perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or Easter, the first day of Spring, or a birthday party. Or you could just make them for no reason at all, on a random snowy Wednesday, like we did last week!
So the idea is rainbow cupcakes. Obviously it’s a few extra steps, and takes a bit more time, than making regular cupcakes. But they really weren’t difficult, and the result is seriously awesome!! My daughter and I love to bake together, and these cupcakes took it to a whole different level of amazing! When you bake with a child, they experience so much- math, science, sensory, creativity, small motor skills, and best of all, it’s just plain old fun! Plus, you get a delicious treat at the end! It’s really a win-win for everyone.
Here are the steps to making these awesome rainbow cupcakes, that are sure to make your day a little brighter!
1. Purchase your favorite brand of boxed cake mix. Be sure it is white cake mix, not vanilla.
2. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
3. Mix the cake as instructed on the box however, be sure to use egg whites only! The yolks will make the mix less white, and mess with the colors.
4. Get 6 bowls and spoons ready. We used Styrofoam for easy peasy clean up.
5. Divide the mix as evenly as you can into the 6 bowls. It does not have to be perfect. Then add food coloring to each mix, to make the colors of the rainbow, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.
Don’t they look pretty?!
6. Here’s the part that is a bit time consuming, and can get a little messy if your child is helping…but my daughter loved doing it! Place 1 spoon full of each color into each cupcake liner. Just place 1 spoonful on top of another, until you have put all 6 colors into each.
Gently tap the pan on the counter, to even out the cake mix a bit.
Here’s how they looked going into the oven…..
And how they looked coming out. Reminds me of a tie-dye shirt!
And when you bite into them, a beautiful rainbow!
So yummy and so much fun!!
Let me know if you try this recipe. I’d love to hear if it was a Pinterest win for you as well! Or if you have any other recipes to share!!