By: Robin Ruehrwein
Around our house, August means blueberry picking. We absolutely love fresh fruits and picking them yourself is a fun way to get the kids excited about eating fruits (and veggies, too)! Our family picks our fruits at CN Smith Farm in East Bridgewater, but you can check here to find a PYO (Pick Your Own) farm near you.
One of my favorite things to do with all our fresh blueberries is to make blueberry muffins. This is the recipe that I use, but I double it. With four males in the house, a dozen would be devoured within minutes of them coming out of the oven.
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries
Crumb topping mixture:
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners (I do both…just in case).
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Then add in the blueberries. Fill the muffin cups right to the top, and then sprinkle them with crumb topping mixture.
- To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I have several more recipes posted over on my blog, Masshole Mommy, too, so feel free to stop by and check them out.