By: Martianne Stanger
July has passed and September is just around the corner. Don’t let that fool you into thinking summer is over. Back-to-school sales may beckoning from flyers, emails and store windows, but the truth is that summer still has weeks to go. In fact, it doesn’t end until the Autumn Equinox on the 23rd!
So dig out your Summer Bucket List (remember the one you might have created after reading Make a Summer Bucket List: Bringing Summer Fun Within Reach in June) and block off some time to enjoy the reminder of the season – even if only on weekends and evenings.
I know my family and I intend to do that. In fact, we recently realized we’ve made it more than halfway through our own Summer Bucket List without even trying. (A lot of the things on our list just happened naturally, it seems, without us even consulting the list again.) Now, we’re looking forward to ticking off a few more items in the coming weeks.
Summer is not over! There’s still so much left to enjoy.
Here are ten free (or inexpensive) ideas for continuing to savor the season:
- Go fruit picking.
- Watch free Outdoor Movies at the Pine Hills in Plymouth.
- Stroll along the Providence Water Fires.
- Enjoy a Project Arts concerts.
- Hang out at the Wading Pool.
- Have a picnic on the beach and burn it off at the playground after enjoying the Plymouth Farmer’s Market. Or enjoy one of the other Farmer’s Markets that Kristen mentioned back in June.
- Get hooked on running, like Kris – and get your kids hooked, too.
- Relax on the town hall lawn in Middleboro while taking in a concert.
- Follow Robin’s lead and do backyard scavenger hunts.
- Curl up with a good book and enjoy the tale end of one of the summer reading programs Jessica told us about.
Whatever you do, don’t throw in your beach towel yet. The weeks ahead may feel like fall with back-to-school sales and, perhaps, even some crisper air coming in. However, there is still plenty of time to relish a jaunt to the beach, through your backyard or out at community events.
What will you be doing to savor summer? Do share!